is the use of techniques, activities, and processes to guarantee that a certain good or service meets a specified standard.
- Supply line control
- Management control
- Inventory control
- Quality control
- Enterprise resource planning
Which of the following is NOT a hygiene factor according to Herzberg?
- safe working environment
- proper pay
- appropriate benefits
- promotion opportunities
- positive relationships
________ and organizing are two of a manager’s most important responsibilities.
The need for a business to change quickly will often help determine the ________.
- organizational structure
- mission statement
- technology infrastructure
- compensation of employees
The need for affiliation in McClelland’s “three-needs” theory most closely resembles which need in Maslow’s hierarchy?
When union and management come to an impasse, sometimes the dispute is sent to a third party for a decision. This process is known as ________.
- a lockout
- collective bargaining
What is the best definition for data?
- numbers or facts organized to be useful
- opinions about the effectiveness of a business
- information used to improve business practices
- statement of fact or idea
- representation of a fact or idea
Utility ________ refers to the availability of public infrastructure services.
Nicholas works for a marketing firm, which is looking to cut staff due to financial hardships. Since Nicholas is nearing 70 years old, the company decides to encourage him to retire by offering him various financial incentives. This worker buyout is also known as a(n) ________.
- golden parachute
- incentive-payment structure
- age discrimination
________ involves tricking a person into entering sensitive personal or financial information into a form on a website or in an e-mail, typically by convincing the person that she is dealing with a site she normally interacts with, such as her bank.
Crystal is the production manager at Pawelk’s, a vacuum cleaner manufacturer. When ordering from her supplier, she must ensure that it does all of the following EXCEPT ________.
- offers a competitive price
- deliver appropriate quantities
- gives positive recommendations
- provide trusted quality
- meet product deadlines
Which is a primary function of management?
- all of the above
Retro Inc. wanted to reduce the amount of supplies it had on hand at any given time to the minimum required. To accomplish this goal, it implemented a ________ system.
- manual eyeballing
- reserve stock system
- stock book solution
The World Intellectual Property Organization requires that e-businesses comply with the laws of ________.
- the country in which they are based
- every country in which they do business
- the United Nations
- the European Union and the United States
- every country that is part of the WIPO Pact
Which type of plan will keep an organization running in the event of a disruption?
Regina enjoys her work and feels her salary and benefits are excellent. Unfortunately, Regina shares an office with a coworker she finds extremely difficult. Regina finds herself dreading heading off to work each morning. According to Herzberg, ________.
- Regina will focus her efforts on motivator factors and seek to improve her sense of responsibility
- Regina will focus her efforts on motivator factors and seek recognition for what she accomplishes in her difficult environment
- Regina will take her hygiene factors for granted and not be motivated to make any changes in her work environment
- Regina will not be aware of her hygiene factors and continue to appreciate the positive aspects of her work situation.
- Regina will be motivated to improve her hygiene factors and seek a way to work in a more positive environment
Business intelligence software can help managers ________.
- design innovative products for consumer use
- report, plan, and forecast workforce performance
- assess the level of expertise of each of a business’s employees
- forecast their business’s stock performance during the next fiscal year
- gain access to private information about a business’s competitors
Linda owns a bakery and wants to hire Bill, a Web-page developer, to create a new site for her company. Linda does not need Bill on staff permanently. Bill would be considered a(n) ________.
- contingent worker
- permanent part-time worker
- independent contractor
- flextime worker
Viral marketing is least likely to occur via ________.
- social networks
Barney is an HR manager and would like to see a more diversified workforce at his company. He decides the best way to do this is to follow a plan that requires the company to employ a certain number of minorities and women. This plan is otherwise known as ________.
- workforce profiling
- diversity training
- employment at will
- affirmative action
- diverse affirmation
Simulation training is most suitable to all of the following jobs EXCEPT ________.
- movie directors
- airline pilots
Eric’s new job really interests him. He finds himself completely immersed in his work and so focused that the tasks seem effortless. What term describes this state of rapt attention?
Which of the following is NOT a legally defensible reason for terminating an employee?
- increased use of technologies replacing workers
- repeated documentation of poor performance
- downsizing and/or restructuring of company
- outsourcing and/or offshoring jobs
- testifying against the company in a legal proceeding
An insurance company was posting a job notice about a new position within the company. The notice stated that a younger employee was desirable because they thought he/she would stay with the company for a longer period of time. This kind of behavior is considered illegal under the ________.
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- Workplace Diversity Act
- Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Discrimination Act of 1999
Tasty Pastry Bakery Shop is having problems with its sticky buns. The bottoms are burning and the customers are complaining. They have identified the problem and they are looking into possible alternative solutions. They could change the recipe and reduce the sugar, which burns quickly. They could change the type of pan they are using. They could lower the heat of the oven. They have tried changing the type of pan from steel cookie sheets to glass pans; however, the buns are still burning. What must they do now?
- lay aside the issue for a while to gain clarity
- revisit the process of identifying the problem
- implement a new plan of action
- evaluate the alternatives again
- generate more alternative solutions
For her psychology project, Melissa has decided to study the production levels of cooks at a local fast food restaurant. She expects the cooks in her study group to outperform the cooks in her control group because of ________.
- extrinsic motivators
- intrinsic motivators
- expectancy theory
- the Taylor effect
- the Hawthorne effect
American Girl, Inc. manufactures dolls with a variety of hair, eye, and skin colors as well as a variety of hair styles. The consumer is able to choose the combination of features that meets their need. The doll is then manufactured according to the customer requirements. American Girl, Inc. must use ________.
- mass production
- mass customization
- inflexible production
- order management
- just-in-time production
Pamela Davis was lauded by her audience after her PowerPoint presentation. Her design was clean and uncluttered. She edited her presentation to make sure there were no unnecessary animations or special effects. Which PowerPoint tip does this reflect?
- Keep it simple.
- Follow the 6 × 6 × 24 rule.
- Practice makes perfect.
- Never use special effects.
- Have a professional design your presentation.
The online advertising acronym PPC stands for ________.
Once a company’s vision and mission statement have been articulated, management must assess a company’s SWOT, which stands for ________.
- strengths, weaknesses, organization, and threats
- strengths, world view, obligations, and tasks
- strengths, weaknesses, operations, and targets
- strengths, world view, organization, and targets
- strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats
An online dating service that charges members makes money primarily through using a(n) ________.
- advertising-based model
- niche model
- intermediary model
- fee-based model
- community-based model
To make good decisions, a successful manager must be able to think abstractly in order to picture the organization as a whole and to understand its relationship to the rest of the business community. In other words, the manager must have ________.
- community relations skills
- decision-making skills
- networking skills
- conceptual skills
- interpersonal skills
Nolan is applying for a promotion within his company. The formal statement about the job says that he must have a four-year college business degree, have five years of experience with the sales force, have the ability to work under pressure, and have excellent communication and organizational skills. These statements, or ________, were made to ensure Nolan was the right person to fulfill the job’s requirements.
- job descriptions
- job specifications
- job shares
- job forecasts
- job analyses
Which of the following BEST describes how businesses convert raw data into information?
- storing the data in a data warehouse
- organizing the data in a way that helps make decisions
- asking information technology experts to review data for accuracy
- maintaining the representations of facts or ideas in their original form
- using the prevalent automatic process
Doreen is a marketing instructor at the branch office of a local college. When she cannot teach one of her evening classes, she hires her friend Patrick to fill in for her. In this case, Patrick is a(n) ________.
- contingent worker
- independent contractor
- flextime worker
- job sharer
Which statement BEST describes why good presentations skills are important in business?
- Your ability to successfully give presentations determines your salary.
- You will need to give presentations in every job you will hold in your career.
- You often need to persuade, educate, or inform a group about your ideas.
- Your ability to successfully give presentations will ensure that you move up in the company.
- You often need to debate your ideas and theories in a group setting.
A vision statement identifies ________.
- the way the company would operate if profit were not an issue
- the latest accomplishments and innovations of a company
- what the business wants to be in the future
- the history of the business and its founder(s)
- the current description of an organization’s purpose, basic goals, and philosophies
Which of the following is NOT a part of a typical management development program?
- coaching program
- workforce profiles
- job rotation
- understudy program
- action learning
Supply chains are part of ________.
- not-for-profit organizations only
- for profit businesses only
- manufacturing firms only
- service industries only
- all businesses
A business that offers potential buyers the opportunity to make purchases either online or in a physical location uses a ________ business model.
- click and mortar
What is the complement to good oral communication skills?
- passive listening skills
- active listening skills
What is MOST important for cloud computing?
- wireless connections
- computer backup systems
Hilde’s company wants to develop an understanding of the demographics of people purchasing its new product. The company wants to target its marketing at this demographic of people. The marketing department has used a database management system to identify the characteristics of buyers. Which of the following will be MOST useful for identifying the appropriate demographic group at which to target marketing?
- data mining
- data brainstorming
- data warehousing
- data consolidation
- data marting
Christina supervises a group of employees at a company that just went through a downsizing. Many other supervisors are no longer with the company and their employees have been assigned to Christina. Her group has doubled in size and there are some hard feelings among the employees. Christina decides to hold group breakfast meetings once a week to connect people to one another and to boost morale. She is an empathetic leader who listens to her employees and helps solve conflicts. Which of the following best describes Christina’s leadership style?
The MAIN goal of utilizing a mass customization production system is to ________.
- produce a customized product at almost the rate of mass production while achieving customer satisfaction
- produce as many identical products as possible in the shortest amount of time
- produce a customized product that will achieve customer satisfaction regardless of production costs
- utilize robots to reduce production expenses while achieving customer satisfaction regardless of production cost
- do more with less through the elimination of wasteful overproduction, unnecessary wait time, needless transportation, excess inventory, superfluous motion, redundant over-processing, and careless defective units
MRP helps managers ________.
- identify the critical path for producing materials within a specified time
- assign the order and timing in which jobs are completed on specific projects
- make sure the right parts and materials are available at the right time
- build quality into each step of the production process
- assign jobs to specific machines so that they can be completed most efficiently
Eva runs a housecleaning business. She provides each employee with a written set of step-by-step instructions for how to use each cleaner and how to clean every aspect of a client’s home. Eva routinely drops in unannounced to make sure her employees are doing as they’re told. Eva knows her employees seek only the security of a job with a paycheck and do not care about the quality of the work they produce. Eva’s management style can be classified as ________.
- strength-based management
- Theory Z
- Theory Y
- Theory X
- expectancy theory
What is the difference between performance management and performance appraisals?
- Performance appraisal is more of a cyclical and fluid process than the single occurrence of performance management.
- Performance management provides one-time feedback, whereas performance appraisals give employees constant feedback.
- Performance management is an ongoing process while a typical performance appraisal happens once per year.
- Performance management requires employees to be extrinsically motivated, whereas performance appraisals require employees to be intrinsically motivated.
- Performance management often results in employee criticisms, but performance appraisals are more defensible.
Which of the following statements is NOT true?
- Good supply chain management can improve efficiencies among all components of the production and distribution process.
- A supply chain is fluid and constantly changing.
- As long as most of the links are strong, one or two weak links won’t adversely affect the chain.
- The customer is at the end of the supply chain.
- Supply chain management can help companies reduce their carbon footprints.
Benito is an HR manager who is responsible for online recruitment of new employees. Technology has created many challenges for recruiters like him. Which of the following is FALSE?
- Benito must create online job postings that appeal to the most qualified candidates.
- Benito must stay up to date on how to use social networking techniques and Web 2.0 techniques.
- Benito’s online posts will yield a large pool of potential candidates.
- Benito should make his company stand out from his competitors when posting job descriptions.
- Benito can quickly sift through the responses to online postings to find qualified candidates.
After accepting a new job and moving to a new city, Tania felt isolated and unhappy. After a few months, she became friends with some of her coworkers and joined a book club. According to Maslow, Tania fulfilled her need for ________.
Natalia is a new employee in the sales department. Her early results are so tremendous that the regional sales manager sent an e-mail to the sales department praising Natalia’s work. To Natalia, this could be a(n) ________.
- virtual motivator
- self-actualization motivator
- intrinsic motivator
- resonance motivator
- extrinsic motivator
A factory is planning to open in a small town that is currently struggling economically. The town residents should expect ________.
- lower standards of living
- a decrease in local traffic
- an increase in natural resources
- reduced taxes
- an improved economy